Monday, February 28, 2011

THE MAN

"Rock and roll is all about sticking it to THE MAN."
- someone, probably from the '60s.

I haven't been blogging much lately because THE MAN has been keeping me down. You know THE MAN, the people of authority who make your life miserable. THE MAN (my lesbian landlords) wants the rent. THE MAN (my Indian boss) wants data. The corporate MAN is driving up my oil bills so he can buy another yacht. The political MAN is trying to suppress the working class, per usual, and taxing the bejesus out of me.

Fuck THE MAN!


The broadcasters bought off the FCC
Big oil's got the EPA
Halliburton Halliburton Halliburton Halliburton
What else do you have to say


Kieran Kane, Kevin Welch, Fats Kaplin - Everybody’s Working for the Man Again.mp3
Buy: You Can't Save Everybody (2005)


So fuck the FCC
Fuck the FBI
Fuck the CIA
Livin’ in the motherfuckin’ USA


Steve Earle - F the CC.mp3
Buy: The Revolution Starts...Now (2004)


What do you mean, I couldn't be president of the United States of America?
Tell me something, it's still "We the people," right?


Megadeth - Peace Sells.mp3
Buy: Peace Sells...But Who's Buying? (1986)


Negotiation's just no fun
And it don't serve our interests none
Gonna turn up the heat till it comes to a boil
So we can go get that Arab oil


James McMurtry - God Bless America.mp3
Buy: Just Us Kids (2008)

McMurtry is the master of the modern protest song. From the brilliant Childish Things.


4 comments:

WhiskeyT said...

Love "Fuck the FCC". Was playing a radio show and we played that during every break to make the engineer nervous. Never invited back for some reason.

SteveA said...

So nucking futs sometimes!

PKL said...

Along these hostile lines, the great Beale Street bluesman and Lowe-bow player Richard Johnston originally had his Foothill Stomp album (if you haven't heard this wonderful record, I will send you a free copy to brighten your 2011 -- it ain't sex, but it comes with no strings attached) on his own FTRC Records label. Over a beer, I once asked Richard what that stood for. Richard just looked me in the eye and told me:

"Fuck The Record Companies!"

So give me some kind of stalker-proof address, and I'll send you an original on FTRC records -- total collector's item, and now otherwise unavailable.

Just my way of saying how much I love your blog. Keep on and don't let the bastards get you down.

DS said...

"Rock and roll is all about sticking it to THE MAN".

Not "somebody in the 60s", but Jack Black in "School of Rock" (2003).