Sunday, February 6, 2011

January 2011 Recap

Lots of noteworthy things happened while I was on hiatus in January. Here's a quick rundown of what I missed while I was moving and getting settled.

#1. Justin Townes Earle started out 2011 by rocking it on Letterman on January 5, playing the title track from his 2010 release Harlem River Blues. Make sure to note Jason Isbell killing it on lead guitar .




Gary Louris of the Jayhawks.
Photo by Frank at Chromewaves.
#2. I cursed and cursed and cursed when I learned that The Jayhawks were opening their reunion tour in Toronto at the Phoenix, on January 18, only two weeks after I moved. This show coincided with the reissues of their classic albums Tomorrow the Green Grass and Hollywood Town Hall. From everything that I read, the show was pretty great:
Most obviously it was there in their vocals and the way their harmonies interlocked – as good as they sounded individually it was like their voices were meant to be together for always – but also in the way their guitars played off one another, Olson’s acoustic rhythm and Louris’ searing electric leads reminding that they played both sides of the country-rock tag equally and just that undefinable but undeniable chemistry between them.
- Chromewaves.net

The Jayhawks' style has certainly aged well, and the clichéd yet accurate observation that "they sound better than ever" was heard exchanged between more than a few contented concertgoers. - Exclaim!

The Jayhawks really were fantastic. A bit of a slow build but then they got rocking. Harmonies were blissful. The new songs had a very defintie new energy and excitement. They are coming back around in the summer with that tour. - Rad Jen

It was awesome, original line-up. It was fucking epic. I feel rough today. - Kellow
After some address changing issues were cleared up with Amazon and my credit card company, I finally received TTGG and HTH in the mail last week. And let me tell you, they sound so good.

Leave No Gold.mp3
Buy: Hollywood Town Hall (2011 Expanded Edition)

Tomorrow the Green Grass.mp3
Buy: Tomorrow The Green Grass (2011, 2 CD Legacy Edition)


#3. My main man Hayes Carll played on the Tonight Show on January 21, and my cable was installed on January 22. Grumble, grumble. Despite the fact the Jay didn't know what the fuck he was talking about, Carll and his band destroyed it on Leno. Is "KMAG YO YO" not "Subterranean Homesick Blues" on meth? The album KMAG YOYO will be officially released on February 15.




#4. Todd Snider wrote an amazing essay for the Village Voice blog on what he would do if he met Bob Dyaln.
it's hard to think of new ways to consider bob dylan and his work
he's probably the most debated and discussed singer to ever live.
but here's a question. especially for songwriters.
what are you going to do if you meet bob dylan?
.....continue reading here.
Snider released his latest album, the two-disc Todd Snider Live: The Storyteller on February 1. He played an acoustic gig in Boston last night. A review will be forthcoming.

Keep Off the Grass.mp3
From: Tales from Moondawg's Tavern (2000 bootleg)


#5. In Hunstville, Alabama, on January 27th, Jason Isbell joined the Drive-By Truckers on stage for the first time in four years. My blogger colleague AutopsyIV at Nine Bullets has the full run-down. WOW! Even without Isbell, the Truckers remain one of my top five live acts. I'm very jealous of all of you fuckers who were at that Huntsville show!


1 comment:

SteveA said...

I'm scratching for a good live show - Jeff Beck in March in Boston is my next one!