Thursday, October 28, 2010

Ruling Rocktober

Rocktober Rocks and Rules!

On the 23rd day of Rocktober, I was having problems coming up with a track so I consulted with my friends and got the following recommendations....

The Demon Beat - Bad Man.mp3
Buy: Shit, We're 23 (2010)

AutopsyIV at NineBullets.net highly recommends this record, and when AutopsyIV talks, I listen! To quote Mr. Autopsy, "I'll describe [The Demon Beat] as a trio that plays rock and roll the way it’s supposed to be played; loud, raw and deliberate, sans the genre mixing, irony and apologies that seem to permeate the kids these days." And since this isn't exactly a "23" song but a 23 album (see also Rocktober 3rd), I have a bonus track.

David Childers - Room 23.mp3
Buy: Room #23 (2003)

As recommended by TruerSound, a song about death in a haunted hotel room, perfect for Halloween. S-P-O-O-K-Y!


On the 24th day of Rocktober Mark Arm gave to me...a reason to drink!

Mudhoney - Twenty Four.mp3
Buy: Superfuzz Bigmuff (1990, deluxe reissue 2008)

What a great song about getting drunk and not letting people try to change who you are. "I've been drunk for twenty four hours! I'll stay drunk for twenty four more! Yeah!" I can't find the exact quote right now, but I remember reading something by Eddie Vedder that said something like, "No matter what happens with Pearl Jam, we'll always be Mudhoney's bitch." Awesome.


On the 25th day of Rocktober Peter Cetera gave to me....an early morning song writing lesson.

Chicago - 25 or 6 to 4.mp3
Buy: Chicago II (1970)

Per AllMusic: "According to Billboard chart statistics, Chicago is second only to the Beach Boys as the most successful American rock band of all time, in terms of both albums and singles." WOW. Admit it, you love this song. It was Chicago's first top five hit. No one could top Cetera's soaring vocals in the 1970s. But what has Cetera done since that crappy ballad from the Karate Kid? Apparently, a Christmas album. Barf.

No comments: