Thursday, October 14, 2010

Rocktober 14th

On the fourteenth day of Rocktober Bob Pollard gave to me...a 14 Cheerleader Coldfront.

Guided by Voices - 14 Cheerleader Coldfront.mp3
Buy: The Best of Guided By Voices: Human Amusements At Hourly Rates (2003)

That's probably my favorite title that I came up with. I was at a high school basketball game, a tournament; I think in was in Centerville [Ohio]. And they had so many cheerleaders. I counted fourteen all the way across the court, facing the crowd. They were all really pretty and you could see that they were obviously kind of stuck on themselves, they were just staring-the point is that it was obviously about them; it wasn't about the game, it was about them. And that's when I said, "Look at the fourteen cheerleader coldfront." I had to write that down. Then [band mate] Toby [Sprout]-it was actually Toby's song, but it needed some lyrics. In fact it was the only song that Toby and I ever sat down and worked on together, truly cowrote together. - Robert Pollard

From: Guided by Voices: A Brief History: Twenty-One Years of Hunting Accidents in the Forests of Rock and Roll (2005) by James Greer

My buddy Rick gave me that excellent book for Christmas one year. If you are making your Christmas lists out early this year, remember that I like books, and I like music, and I really like books about music.

No comments: