Monday, January 4, 2010

Most Listened to Songs of 2009

I'm steeling this idea from another blog, and for the life of me I can't remember who posted it first. I know it was someone off of my twitter feed, but I went back through the feeds last night and I still have no clue who originally posted this. But anyway....

Are the songs that we call our "favorites" the same songs that we listen to the most? I went back through my media players to determine which songs from 2009 I actually listened to the most. The top 18 are listed below (38 tracks total as there are lots of ties). A few interesting notes: some albums I listened to almost exclusively on my MP3 player (Corb Lund, Slaid Cleaves), a few I listened to mostly through my computer (Carolyn Mark & NQ Arbuckle, Tim Easton), and others tracks just can't be quantitated because I know I mostly listened to them on my CD player (Mark Olson & Gary Louris, Drive-By Truckers), and some were listened to by all three methods (Son Volt).

1. Carolyn Mark & NQ Arbuckle - "Downtime" - Let's Just Stay Here
2. Justin Townes Earle - "Can't Hardly Wait" - Midnight at the Movies
2. Son Volt - "Down to the Wire" - American Central Dust
4. Carolyn Mark & NQ Arbuckle - "All Tim Low" - Let's Just Stay Here
5. Corb Lund - Game in Town Like This.mp3 - Buy: Losin' Lately Gambler
6. Carolyn Mark & NQ Arbuckle - "Second Time" - Let's Just Stay Here
7. Carolyn Mark & NQ Arbuckle - "Officer Down" - Let's Just Stay Here
7. Carolyn Mark & NQ Arbuckle - "Saskatoon Tonight" - Let's Just Stay Here
7. Corb Lund - "Horse Doctor Come Quick" - Losin' Lately Gambler
7. Doug Paisley - "What About Us?" - Doug Paisley
11. Corb Lund - "Long Gone to Saskatchewan" - Losin' Lately Gambler
11. Corb Lund - "The Only Long Rider I Know" - Losin' Lately Gambler
11. Doug Paisley - "We Weather" - Doug Paisley
11. Phorsphorescent -I Gotta Get Drunk.mp3 - Buy: To Willie
11. Slaid Cleaves - "Beautiful Thing" - Everything You Love Will Be Taken Away
11. Son Volt - "Dust of Daylight" - American Central Dust
11. Tim Easton - "Burgundy Red" - Porcupine
18. Ben Nichols - "The Last Pale Light in the West" - The Last Pale Light in the West
18. Ben Nichols - "Toadvine" - The Last Pale Light in the West
18. Black Joe Lewis & the Honeybears - Get Yo Shit.mp3 - Buy: Tell 'Em What Your Name Is!
18. Carolyn Mark & NQ Arbuckle - "Itchy Feet" - Let's Just Stay Here
18. Carolyn Mark & NQ Arbuckle - "Let's Just Stay Here" - Let's Just Stay Here
18. Corb Lund - "Talkin' Veterinarian Blues" - Losin' Lately Gambler
18. Corb Lund - "This is My Prairie" - Losin' Lately Gambler
18. Eilen Jewell - "Rain Roll In" - Sea of Tears
18. Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit - "Cigarettes and Wine" - Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit
18. Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit - Good.mp3 - Buy: Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit
18. Justin Townes Earle - "They Killed John Henry" - Midnight at the Movies
18. Justin Townes Earle - Halfway to Jackson.mp3 - Buy: Midnight at the Movies
18. Slaid Cleaves - "Beyond Love" - Everything You Love Will Be Taken Away
18. Slaid Cleaves - "Cry" - Everything You Love Will Be Taken Away
18. Son Volt - "Cocaine and Ashes" - American Central Dust
18. Son Volt - "Dynamite" - American Central Dust
18. Son Volt - "Roll On" - American Central Dust
18. Tim Easton - "Northbound" - Porcupine
18. Tim Easton - "Stone's Throw Away" - Porcupine
18. Those Darlins - "Wild One" - Those Darlins
18. William Elliott Whitmore - "Who Stole the Soul" - Animals in the Dark

Here is the artist that I listened to the least in 2009 (graphics from Last.FM):

3 comments:

toomuchcountry said...

Great way to end the day with a huge laugh. The same blogger who tweets "HA! If you only knew me in real life. I'm more foul-mouthed and surly than you." then resorts to objective data mining to analyze her most frequently played songs over last 12 months.

Rockstar Aimz said...

What can I say? I'm foul-mouthed and surly, but mostly I'm a complete nerd.

Anonymous said...

FYI: Corb Lund and the Hurtin' Albertans played the National Cowboy Poetry Gathering this week in Elko, Nevada. The Western Folklife Center that puts on the Gathering cybercasts some of the concerts. Three of their shows (2 video and 1 audio) are available at http://www.westernfolklife.org/site1/index.php/Cybercast.html for a limited time I believe. The shows each have multiple artists but you can skip through the other performances if you wish.