Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Blue Monday

A geek that I work with pointed this out today at a meeting, and since I am also I geek, I found it incredibly amusing. Per Wikipedia, yesterday was Blue Monday, the saddest day of the year, according to some crazy British marketing group working for a travel agency. And, it even has an equation! Yay math!

On the third Monday of every January:

[W + (D - d)] x TQ
M x Na

Where, W = weather, d = debt, T = time since Christmas, Q = time since failing our New Year’s resolutions, M = low motivational levels, and Na = the feeling of a need to take action. 'D' is not defined, since all good equations have an unknown. If only the marketing geniuses had included a differential equation. Then we could talk some serious calculus.

So, I just plugged my info into the above equation, and guess what the answer is? Come on nerds, think real hard! Hint: Its Fox Mulder's apartment number. Another Hint: Its one of the LOST numbers. Oh god, I just out-nerded myself! So? So let's dance....

My favorite "Blue Monday" is by New Order. This song was originally recorded as a 12" single in 1982, and charted numerous times in the UK. With two official remixes in 1988 and 1995. The original can be found on the superb New Order complication Substance, which I completely wore out on cassette circa 1989.

Blue Monday.mp3
Buy: Substance (1987)

Blue Monday (88).mp3
Buy: The Best of New Order (1995)

1 comment:

simon2307 said...

I heard this on the radio feel like this most Monday's myself.

Blue Monday was the biggest selling 12" in British Chart history - the story was the sleeve cost that much to produce the label lost money on every sale, Factory Records and their night club the Hacienda are legendary in the UK, not sure how much success or notoriety they had in North America. There are a couple of rock docs about Factory produced by the BBC that make excellent watching (i'll see if I find any links for them), there was also a movie / soundtrack based on Factory called 24 Hour Party People - the movie won't win any Grammy's but it's okay.