Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Attitude

I'm back after a week on the DL, and here is my final post in this series on The Replacements. Their final album All Shook Down, was more or less Paul Westerberg's first solo album. Their label, Warner Brothers, didn't think a Westerberg solo album would sell, so they wanted it labeled as a Replacements album. At this point drummer Chris Mars had quit the band to pursue a visual arts career, and was replaced by Steve Foley. Their last show was on July 4, 1991, in Chicago's Grant park.
Peter Jesperson [Former Replacements manager and co-founder of Twin/Tone records]: They kicked it off with "I Will Dare." Did a surprisingly good version of "Within Your Reach." The two moments that stand out most in my memory are "Talent Show" - when the band hit the breakdown in the middle, Paul stepped to the front of the stage and played the melody of "Send in the Clowns" - that gave me a lump in my throat the size of a baseball. And when they closed with "Hootenanny," it was pretty sad, not funny like it used to be. (p. 232)
From: The Replacements: All Over But the Shouting, An Oral History (2007)

There are bootlegs of this show floating around somewhere. If you can hook me up, I'll be your new best friend. Edit: Simon2307 is my new best friend.

Attitude.mp3
Buy: All Shook Down (1990, reissued with bonus tracks in 2008)

2 comments:

simon2307 said...

Here you go.
http://liveandlossless.blogspot.com/2009/07/replacements-it-aint-over-til-fat.html

Rockstar Aimz said...

DUDE! Thank you! Thank you!! Thank you!!!