Sunday, October 5, 2008

More Missing Socks

Concert Review: The Sadies, Saturday, October 4, The Horseshoe, Toronto

Saturday of Aimz:
1. Wake up at 11, hungover from too much Keith's.
2. Pull it together with the help of coffee and donuts.
3. Drive out to Scarborough to buy a new curling broom. (If this isn't the start of a Canadian country song, then I don't know what is.)
4. Drink 2.5 liters of water, eat half of a large tomato, mushroom, and basil pizza, and take a two hour nap.
5. Shower for the first time since Thursday.
6. Proceed to lose even more of my socks when they are rocked-off at The Sadies show.

Lucky me! Two Sadies shows in one weekend! On Saturday night they only played 42 songs. About half of them were the same as Friday night's gig. Both of Dallas and Travis Good's parents joined them on stage, with dad Bruce joining in on autoharp, harmonica, and vocals. Justin Rutledge and Matt Cameron were back as well, along with Matt's band mate Steve (sorry, I missed their band's name) who sang a rock cover of "Black Boys on Mopeds." Some kid named Josh, who looked like he wasn't quite old enough to shave, joined in on drums and maracas, and even "played" Dallas's guitar with his drum sticks. I was especially thrilled to see Blue Rodeo's Greg Keelor make a surprise appearance, singing and playing guitar on some traditional gospel songs, as well as singing lead in the Sadie's own "Within a Stone" and Blue Rodeo's "Diamond Mine." The last part of the show including the encore was heavy on kick-ass covers, including Johnny Cash's "Big River" only done in the Waco Brother's style, and the Mekons' "Memphis, Egypt."

If you are looking for me this week, I am probably at the mall buying more socks.

Sinead O'Connor - Black Boys On Mopeds.mp3
Blue Rodeo - Diamond Mine.mp3
Waco Brothers - Big River.mp3

1 comment:

Bobby B said...

Awesome verbage, my newfound blogging friend. Thanks for checking out my blog and pictures as well. I'm a bit bummed that I missed Keelor the following night but ah well...

bob