There are so many great gigs coming up in Toronto in the next few months that every Sunday night I am going to highlight what I think you should go to. I can't go to all of these, and some are on the same night, so if anyone wants to guest post, please say the word (rockstaraimz at gmail dot com).
NxNE is Technically from June 14-20, but most of the gigs start on Thurs, June 16. I am still not sure exactly which shows I am hitting. More on that later in the week. But for now, here is what I think you should go to.
Tuesday, June 15
1. Austin Lucas with Gentlemen Husbands at Sneaky Dee's (431 College). I will be at this one for sure.
Somebody Loves You.mp3
Buy: Somebody Loves You (2009)
2. The New Pornographers with The Dodo's and The Dutchess and the Duke, The Sound Academy (11 Polson Street)
Thursday, June 17
1. Kasey Anderson, part of NxNE, Cadillac Lounge (1296 Queen Street West), 12:00. I'll be there!
Buy: Nowhere Nights (2010)
2. NxEW Showcase. Gladstone Hotel (1214 Queen Street West), 8 p.m. - 3 a.m. I'll be bouncing between this showcase and various other NxNE acts.
3. Outlaws and Gunslingers Showcase presented by Six Shooter Records and Starfish Entertainment, NxNE, Lee's Palace (529 Bloor Street West).
Friday, June 18
1. Uncle Sinner, part of NxNE, Cadillac Lounge (1296 Queen Street West), 11:00. I'll be there.
Jack of Diamonds.mp3
Buy (CD Baby): Ballads and Mental Breakdowns (2008)
2. Buddyhead Goes Canadian! 2010 NXNE SHOWCASE! I didn't realize it when I posted this yesterday, but the following showcase is being presented by the LA-based irreverent punk blog Buddyhead, one of the best blogs on the internets. The Great Hall (1087 Queen St. West), starting at 9:00 pm.
10:00 - A.A. Bondy
11:00 - John Doe and Exene Cervenka from X (unplugged)
12:00 - Mini Mansions
1:00 - The Icarus Line
Travis Keller – DJing the most smashing and crashing Rock N’ Roll all night long!
If you can't get into this one, come join me at Uncle Sinner, just a few blocks down the street.
Saturday, June 19
1. A.A. Bondy, NxNE, Dakota Tavern (249 Ossington Avenue), 9:00. I'm probably going to park my sorry carcass at the Dakota for the night.
2. Toronto Island Concert. I'm too broke to go to this, but I would love for someone to do a guest review (or give me a ticket)!