Thursday, November 27, 2008

Gobble, Gobble, Gobble

This US ex-pat is spending American Thanksgiving Day in Canada. I usually spend it with family in the US, but due to a family emergency it was not possible this year. At least I am still skipping out on work. Whoo-hooo! I wish I was a better cook though. Sigh. At least I still get to watch football! Oh wait, the Lions are playing. Never mind. Maybe I'll do some laundry.

Old 97's - Lonely Holiday (live).mp3
Buy: Alive & Wired (2005)
I posted the album version from Fight Songs a few weeks ago. Great song from a wicked live album.

Mary Gauthier - Thanksgiving.mp3
Buy: Between Daylight and Dark (2007)
Damn, I hate it when I have to visit momma in prison on Thanksgiving Day.

James McMurtry - Holiday.mp3
Buy: Childish Things (2005)
The third verse of this song describes my family perfectly. I saw McMurty in early 2007 and he did the last verse of this song a capella. The last verse is about a soldier going overseas, presumably to Iraq. You could have heard a pin drop. Amazing performance. Do yourself a favor and pick up this album.

Eric Rhame - Thanksgiving Day.mp3
Buy: Timber and Steel (2008)
Eric Rhame is an indie folk singer from Duluth, Minnesota. This song has everything you want on Thanksgiving - football, drunk uncles, and not a lot of leftovers.

No comments: