Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Sadies Originals

This photo has nothing to do with today's post. I just like kitschy-Americana (Canadiana?) things. I actually took a road trip to Sudbury once, and yes, I saw giant the nickel. Read about Sudbury, the nickel capitol of the world here. To see other large roadside attractions in Canada, click here. To hear the song "Sudbury Nickel" see Friday's post.

I have a playlist on my MP3 player that I call "Sadies Originals." Its all original tracks of songs that I have heard The Sadies cover live. Here are a few "originals" that John Doe and The Sadies cover on their album Country Club.

Roger Miller
- Husbands and Wives.mp3
From: Live at the Birchmere, Alexandria, VA, Feburary 16, 1991.
Full disclosure: I pulled this track off of a wonderful live Roger Miller show posted on the A Truer Sound blog. Great show. You should listen to the entire thing!

Willie Nelson - Night Life.mp3
From: Revolutions of Time: The Journey 1975-1993 (1995 Box Set, out of print)

Rosanne Cash - I Still Miss Someone.mp3
Buy: Kindred Spirits: A Tribute to the Songs of Johnny Cash (2002)
Not the original, but this version by Johnny's daughter is my favorite. Vince Gill and Cheryl White sing background vocals, while Marty Stuart plays electric guitar.


The Sadies - Before I Wake.mp3
Buy: Tremendous Efforts (2001)
The original version was performed by Dallas Good with his mother Margaret singing the female part. Margaret returns on the updated version with lead vocals by John Doe.

No comments: