Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Winter Blues

The end of February/beginning of March is time of year when everyone in Canada fights a terrible case of cabin fever and/or seasonal affective disorder. I've been so grumpy that I don't even want to blog, much less go to work, do my dishes, go the gym, etc. Here are a few tracks to help pull you (and me) through the rest of winter.

I remember this one from my parent's record collection:
The Mamas & the Papas - California Dreamin'.mp3
Buy: If You Can Believe Your Eyes and Ears (1966, reissued 1998)

For comparison:
American Music Club - California Dreamin'.mp3
From: San Francisco (1994, out of print)

Simon & Garfunkel - Hazy Shade of Winter.mp3
Buy: Bookends (1968, reissued 2001)

I have always liked this electric version:
The Bangles -Hazy Shade of Winter.mp3
Buy: Less Than Zero Soundtrack (1987)

1 comment:

Paul said...

I've always really liked both of these songs and linked them together (for obvious reasons). I wonder if Paul Simon was consciously or subconsciously inspired/copying California Dreaming.