Thursday, February 26, 2009

Drinking Again

My blogger buddy Paul at Setting the Woods on Fire is conducting a poll on the ultimate drinking songs. One of the first songs to pop into my head is this track by the Queen of Soul, Aretha Franklin. It is off of a 1980 Columbia records compilation called Aretha Sings the Blues. I have no idea where I picked up this CD, but I have had it for years. I must have bought it when I was a student because it still has a "Nice Price" sticker on it, meaning it must have been cheap.

On this compilation Aretha pours her heart and soul into songs about loneliness, heartache, lost and unrequited love, and opportunities missed. She channels her inner Billie Holiday and uses her massive vocal range to insert heartfelt emotion into every song. You will be blubbering into your bourbon by the end of this disc. Or, in Aretha's case, sobbing into your Seegram's.

Drinking Again.mp3
(according to my CD, this track was originally recorded in 1964)
Buy (for only $6.99!): Aretha Sings the Blues (1980)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aretha Franklin.
Call me crazy, but I think
she ate more than drink

Rockstar Aimz said...

RMR, you are mean. Show some R-E-S-P-E-C-T.

Anonymous said...

pleas word your reply
in a manner such as I
a hint (it's haiku)

Rockstar Aimz said...

RMR, show some
R-E-S-P-E-C-T
You are a meanie