Monday, September 1, 2008

Workin' Man Blues

According to our friends at Wikipedia, Labor Day has been celebrated on the first Monday in September in the United States since the 1880s. The form for the celebration of Labor Day was outlined in the first proposal of the holiday—a street parade to exhibit to the public "the strength and esprit de corps of the trade and labor organizations," followed by a festival for the workers and their families.

A friggin' "street parade" woke me at 9a.m. today. I don't understand why Toronto has its Labor (Labour) Day parade down Queen Street West. Its all chain retail stores where the products are mostly made outside of North America. The stores are going to be open today, so some suckers have to work. And most of the people who live in the area are single, young people, probably hungover, who don't appreciate being woken up to the sound of a bad marching band playing Three Dog Night's "Joy to the World." I'm going to go into work so I can get some sleep.

Merle Haggard - Workin' Man Blues.mp3
Buy: The Fightin' Side of Me: 15 #1 Hits (2003)

Bob Dylan - Workingman's Blues #2.mp3
Buy: Modern Times (2006)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it just me or does Bob Dylan's "Workingman's Blues #2" sound a lot like "Total Eclipse of the Heart".

Rockstar Aimz said...

Its you. Stay off of the drugs young man.

Anonymous said...

Seriously, the main verse in that song has the same melody of the part that goes, "once upon a time I was falling in love, now I'm only falling apart." Listen again and if you still think I'm wrong I will give up the drugs for a day.