Sweet merciful crap, there are so many good gigs in Toronto this month that I could go to one every day of the week, and still miss out on some. Someone needs to get on cloning, pronto, cause I need to be at two, sometimes three, shows at once. If you are in or around Toronto this week here are the shows which I think you should see.
Tuesday, July 13
1. James McMurtry - Lee's Palace (529 Bloor)
It was a toss up between JM and OCMS, but I decided to catch JM. When I saw him in 2007 at the El Mo, he was amazing.
James McMurtry - The Governor.mp3
Buy: Just Us Kids (2008)
2. Old Crow Medicine Show - The Phoenix (410 Sherbourn)
3. Colleen Brown - The Horseshoe (370 Queen W.)
Part of Dave Bookman's New Music Night. FREE!
4. Rush - Molson Amphitheatre (909 Lakeshore Blvd. W.)
If there was nothing else playing, I would be there.
Wednesday, July 14
1. The Gaslight Anthem with Tim Barry and The Menzingers - The Sound Academy (11 Polson St.)
Dude. I would go to this gig just to see Tim Barry! The Gaslight Anthem is an added bonus. I am turning into Grandpa Simpson so I bought a VIP ticket so I could avoid all of the underage kids. Get off my lawn!
Tim Barry - Thing of the Past.mp3
Buy (Suburban Home): 28th and Stonewall (2010)
The Gaslight Anthem - Bring it On.mp3
Buy: American Slang (2010)
2. Delorean - Wrongbar (1279 Queen W.)
Lots of good buzz about this band, and the only venue I hate more than the Wrongbar, is the Sound Academy.[/Grandpa Simpson]
3. Titus Andronicus - The Horseshoe (370 Queen W.)
Friday, July 16
1. The Hold Steady with The Whigs - The Phoenix
Ohhh, my liver hurts already.
The Whigs - Right Hand on My Heart.mp3
Buy: Mission Control (2008)
The Hold Steady - Rock Problems.mp3
Buy: Heaven Is Whenever (2010)
Saturday, July 17
1. Rush - Air Canada Centre (40 Bay St.)
ACC shows are out of my budget, unless its Neil Young, or Bob Dylan. If anyone wants to do a guest review of a Rush show, shoot me an e-mail. Better yet, if anyone wants to give me a ticket....