Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Doors Convergence

A few days ago I read an unusual article in the New York Times on how The Doors lead singer Jim Morrison, who would have turned 65 on Dec. 8, appeared in two NYT obituaries in last week. Jim's father George Morrison passed away on Nov. 17 at age 89. Elmer Valentine, the founder of the Los Angeles club Whisky a Go Go where The Doors were once the house band, died on Dec. 3 at age 85. Author Verlyn Klinkeborg ponders what may have happened if these two men had ever met. Read the article here.

Light My Fire.mp3
Love Me Two Times.mp3
The End.mp3
Buy: The Very Best of the Doors (2007)

1 comment:

Garrick said...

I'm not sure the article ever answered the question, but from what I know from military families I know and from club owners who are friends of friends with whom I've talked, I would imagine Jim Morrison's dad would have severely damaged the facial features of Elmer Valentine for "ruining" his son's life. Just my speculation.

In my younger years, I never really developed an appreciation for the Doors. The long keyboard solos tend to bore me, and maybe that's just lingering resentment from the college stoners that always were playing the Doors. As I've grown older and listened to some of the other tracks that weren't part of the classic rock station's heavy rotation (I swear if I hear "Riders on the Storm" I might lose it.), I've come to appreciate the more up tempo songs. "Alabama Song", "Peace Frog", "Break on Through" are just great songs for driving. Or breaking up the monotony of a work day.

Fun fact corner! There was a bagpipe player at the Duke of Perth scotch bar in Chicago that played "Break on Through" on bagpipes. Imagine a scotch list with over 100 single malts. Now imagine being several scotches into that list. Now imagine hearing bagpipes and the sudden cringing realization that you're able to sing along as it is the Doors, "Break on Through". The best part of that scene was that the entire table realized the song at about the same time.